Applications are now invited from the qualified Malaysian scholars to undertake a 3-6 months of research/lecturing at the American universities during the FY2022/2023 academic year (August through June).
The Malaysian Fulbright Scholar Program provides opportunities for Malaysian academics to develop or update their research through interaction with distinguished counterparts in the United States. By providing a mechanism and support for meeting and interacting with the best of American scholars, the program seeks to promote dialogue on subjects of mutual interest to Malaysia and the United States.
While these grants are typically researched focused, applicants who are prepared to add a lecturing component to their proposals are particularly encouraged to apply. Further, all applicants will be asked to develop strategies for sharing Malaysian culture with social, civic and other groups while in the United States.
Applicants must have the following qualifications:
- A Malaysian citizen.
- Doctoral degree or equivalent professional training or experience at the time of application.
- Minimum five years working experience in the related field.
- Faculty member in a university or a higher learning institution in Malaysia and eligible for sabbatical or other leaves.
- An excellent record of achievement as indicated by quality publications and professional activities.
- Sufficient proficiency in English appropriate to propose lecturing or research project to be carried out in the United States;
- A detailed statement of proposed activity for research or lecturing at a U.S. institution. The proposed project should contribute to the development of knowledge in your field and must be effectively investigated within the period of grant.
- Certification of good health.
- While not limited to specific fields, research proposals from candidates applying for this award should relate to MACEE’s 5 traditional themes: American Studies, Malaysian Studies, Islamic Studies, Issues in Contemporary Society, Economics and Technology Transfer, and International Relations will be given preference. Research in other fields of study will be considered as well.
Applicants should note that the following conditions affect review and selection of candidates:
- Applicants will be considered without regard to race, religion, sex, age and/ or physical impairment.
- Preference is given to those without recent experience in the United States.
- Applicants should be a representative and a responsible citizens who can contribute to a full and fair picture of the culture of Malaysia and thereby contribute to understanding between the people of the United States and Malaysia. You should also demonstrate the cross-cultural sensitivity and flexibility needed to adjust successfully to life in the United States.
Applicants are requested to note some of the most frequent application problems:
- Lack of an adequate research proposal. This is the single most common weakness of applications and the one that reflects most seriously on the applicant’s prospects for placement. Applicants must have a well-thought-out plan for research that demonstrates knowledge of the field in general, as well as scientific methods for approaching the subject and knowledge of sources of data in the United States.
- Selection of a proposed host institution without providing rationale or copies of correspondence or not mentioning any preference for affiliation.
- Lack of knowledge of English or of a plan to acquire a working level of English before beginning the grant.
- Lack of a curriculum vitae and list of publications.
- Proposing visits to numerous institutions.
- Proposing a non-academic host institution without including a clear justification with sufficient details.
PROVISIONS OF THE AWARD
The Fulbright Malaysian Scholar grant augments the privileges normally accorded by the home institution to its staff members on sabbatical or other leave. The program also solicits the cooperation of the U.S. host institutions which may invite grantees to conduct research/lecturing using their facilities. It will enhance the application and assist the selection process if candidates have already examined appropriate affiliation at a U.S. institution. Cost-sharing from candidate or the home institution is encouraged as this enables MACEE to offer Fulbright grant to more candidates.
FULBRIGHT PLAGIARISM PROCEDURE
This program seeks applicants whose writing achieves the highest academic standards of original research, writing, and citation. Application materials will be processed using software to help identify any instance of plagiarism. Plagiarism in any part of your application will result in your disqualification from participating in the program.
Plagiarism will be understood to include any of the following:
Presenting wording, statistics or concepts as your own which should be attributed to someone else or to publications (online or offline). This includes, but is not limited to:
- Copying the exact wording of a written source
- Presenting material with alterations in wording
- Paraphrasing the content of a source without citation
It is expected that your application will be your own work and writing, with a clear citation of secondary sources if describing the academic work and writing of others (including one’s own previously published work). Any sources used in the construction of your responses must be clearly cited.
Applicant from Malaysian universities and other higher learning institutions are requested to submit their completed application forms through their Vice-Chancellor / Director, or equivalent. A letter is required from the home University / Institute stating the benefits the applicant is entitled to during the 3-6 months sabbatical or other leaves in the United States.
Click here for online application.
Supplementary documents to be uploaded online:
- Letters of invitation from United States institutions.
- Degree certificates
- Sabbatical leave letters
- Passport copy
- Source of financial support for accompanying dependents.
Shortlisted candidates will be called for interview in November or early December 2021 and the final announcement of awards will be made in January 2022.
For inquiry, please contact Kalis or Karen at 03-2166 8878 Email: Fulbrightmalaysia@macee.org.my