Participants have the opportunity to refine their teaching skills, increase their English language proficiency and extend their knowledge of the society and culture of the United States, while being teaching assistants for their native language to U.S. students and strengthening foreign language instruction at U.S. colleges and universities. Fulbright FLTA participants also interact with their host communities in conversation groups, extracurricular activities, and community outreach projects. Candidates who are teachers in the fields of American Studies, Journalism and Media, and American/English Literature will also be considered on a case-by case.
In preparation for their return to careers in their home countries at the conclusion of the program, participants have the opportunity to refine their teaching skills, increase their English language proficiency, and extend their knowledge of the society and culture of the United States while serving as teaching assistants for their native language to U.S. students and strengthening foreign language instruction at U.S. colleges and universities. Fulbright FLTA participants also interact with their host communities in conversation groups, extracurricular activities, and community outreach projects. Fulbright FLTA participants must return to their home countries upon completion of the program.
Fulbright FLTA participants will assist in up to twenty hours of language classes a week and are required to enroll in at least two courses per semester, one of which must be in the U.S. Studies. Coursework is offered on either an audit or credit basis. Fulbright FLTA participants will also be expected to facilitate in-person or virtual cultural events, language clubs and language tables.
Fulbright FLTA participants will be required to attend two activities, which are sponsored by ECA and coordinated by the Institute of International Education (IIE). There is both an orientation after participants’ arrival in the United States and prior to their arrival at U.S. host institution as well as a mid-year conference. Upon arrival in the United States, attendance at a U.S.-based orientation during summer 2021, prior to arrival at host institution in August, is required of all Fulbright FLTAs. Additionally, Fulbright FLTA participants will be required to attend a mid-year enrichment conference in the United States (December 2021) to receive additional training on teachings techniques and pedagogy and share information about their current teaching experiences with other Fulbright FLTA participants. Prospective FLTAs should be aware that flexibility will be required due to possible COVID-19 related adjustments to the 2021-22 academic year, including the requirement to teach remotely and assist with online teaching responsibilities.
Applicants must be residing in their home countries throughout the nomination and selection process and must intend to return to their home countries immediately following the nine-month FLTA program. ECA will not support any extension requests for FLTAs. The Fulbright FLTA program does not support dependents or family members. Candidates may not have any dependents accompany them for any time during the program. Family and friends may visit program participants during the holiday periods only. By extension of this policy, pregnant candidates may not participate in the program if the birth is due during the program period.
The FLTA program promotes cross-cultural understanding in the U.S. and in the home countries of the FLTA fellows. U.S. universities benefit from the presence of a native speaker on their campuses. FLTA fellows and U.S. students have the unique opportunity to learn about each other’s culture and to build mutual understanding between the U.S. and other countries.
- Malaysian citizens
- Applicants must be residing in Malaysia throughout the nomination and selection process.
- Possess the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor’s degree with a good academic record; Master’s degrees are highly desirable at many institutions.
- Be teachers of English or training to become teachers of English.
- Fluency in English is mandatory, demonstrated by a score of no less than 79-80 (Internet Based TOEFL) or 6.0 (Overall Score International English Language Testing System-IELTS).
- Clearly demonstrate maturity, dependability, integrity and professionalism.
- Must be open to living with U.S. student peers in undergraduate or graduate level campus housing.
- Must return to home country upon completion of the nine-month program. ECA will not support any extension requests for participants.
- Candidates in the related fields should have background in English language teaching.
NEW: Age profile
- Young, energetic, early career educators.
- Capable of succeeding in the dual role of teaching assistant and student at an undergraduate or graduate host institution.
- Open to living with U.S. students in undergraduate or graduate level campus housing while also engaging with faculty and staff with maturity and professionalism.
Applicants in the related fields are eligible to apply:
Anthropology, Area Studies, Arts, Communication, Computer Sciences/Technology, Education (Rural, Teacher Training) Educational Administration, Educational Psychology, Educational Technology, Humanities, Languages, Literature, Social Sciences, Social Work and Sociology.
Monthly stipend, accident and sickness insurance coverage and travel allowance. Fulbright FLTA program does not support dependents or family members. Host institution provides tuition waivers to support the required coursework.
Candidates are required to submit application via on-line management system here and hard copies to MACEE.
A complete application package includes :
- An online application form
- Personal information form
- Certified true copy of academic transcripts (English version required)
- Three letters of reference
- TOEFL or IELTS score
- Valid passport copy
Please mail 4 copies of your application with photos by September 4, 2020 to:
Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program
18th Floor, Menara Yayasan Tun Razak
200 Jalan Bukit Bintang
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
For inquiry, please contact Ms. Kalis/ Ms. Karen at 03-2166 8878 or email: Fulbrightmalaysia@macee.org.my